Saturday, July 18, 2009

Farm Life


So like I said in a few previous posts, I am now living on farm cooking, learning and helping anyway I can. Yesterday was my first full day here and first up was picking strawberries for the restaurant:

After that we did some odds and ends and after lunch I usually work with Veronique in the conservatory where we make the prepared food to sell at the markets, like cured magret or canard hearts stuffed with foie gras, rillettes, pate' etc. There is also a full canning system where we can a lot of food hence "conservatory." Here is a photo of magret stuffed with foie gras that has been cured then soaked in Armagnac and peppered then hung to drywhich we did yesterday.

This is also a pretty cool feature to the farm as well...a pool, I took a dip the first day but yesterday was too cold and today looks like it will be too.
If you look on the very right inside that overhang is a giant wood-burning stove where some of their friends/local farmers come to bake organic bread twice a week and in return we get fresh bread twice a week to sell in the restaurant for free. 




2 comments:

  1. You have to teach me how to cure those magret stuffed with foie gras when you get back here. I am jealous.
    Chef H

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back at Kate's and we're talking about coming to visit you before I leave on Friday! Sounds like you are getting along well there.

    Camas

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
the cutting boarder by William Reeves is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.