Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cochon & Marche'


The past 2 days I was staying with some friends that own and pig farm, the Chapolard's. The Chapolards are a family of butchers who raise, slaughter, butcher and create different products from every part of the pig and sell them at markets. I was invited to stay and work with them in their cutting room where we broke down pig after pig creating sausages, pate, boudin, chorizo and the list goes on. It was a great experience to break down whole pigs since it is rare that restaurants back in the states get whole carcasses. It is amazing that a huge family of 4 brothers and their wives who each have at least 4 children can survive very comfortably off of their land by raising a single animal, cochon (pig). I was also taken the the abattoir which is technically the slaughterhouse if you want to be graphic, but abattoir is a nicer name. I got to see how the the pig are "put down" if you will which is quite interesting. I will not post any photos of the "put down piggies" due to graphicness of it but if you want to see them when I get home just ask me.
      Last night I returned from the Chapolard's to the Ferme Auberge and this morning I went with Claire to work the marche' (open market) to see what it is like working one since I have been to many as a customer already. It was really a good time since she told everyone I was an American, everyone wanted to talk to me, too bad I couldn't understand most of it. The other people working the venders next to us were extremely nice and friendly, and a few a bit crazy. Elliott was selling some of the best raw oyster I have ever had. Next to her was Alex who was selling her homemade confitures (jam) which I will bring home thanks to Alex. All in all the past few days have been really fun and really tiring. 


L to R: Alex, some guy who would not stop singing, Elliott.

Elliott's empty oysters. She sold out of 15 full coolers full.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Bill,


    Thanks again for another awesome dispatch from France!

    Listened to a little Nick Cave "Abattoir Blues" in honor of your butchering experience. I'm also quite jealous of the oysters as I am an enthusiast.

    Hope you're having fun!


    Best,

    Megan

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
the cutting boarder by William Reeves is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.